Major Tender Sources
Since industrialization has not got the impetus in the state, till now the major source of Meghalaya tender is the government of Meghalaya. Hence the prospective bidders should do well to understand the process and requirements of bidding for and winning them so as to promote their business prospects.
Economic scenario of Meghalaya is a bid complicated. The state economy is hard hit by illegal mining in the Garo Hills for procurement of coal. However, of late the authorities have started taking strong steps against such illegal activities most of which are illegal coal mines. Instead, government tender are now floated for mining and all other sectors.
Sectors in Which Tenders are Generated
Most of the tenders in Meghalaya are generated in Government sectors and major sectors that floats Meghalaya tender are as follows:
- Agricultural sector because the state is basically agrarian in nature. Especially fruits and vegetables are grown in plenty in the state. Therefore many government tenders are floated for procurement of seeds, fertilizers, pesticides, and agricultural equipments.
- One of the major areas from where the Meghalaya tender usually comes up is Shillong, the capital of the state as well as a popular hill station.
- Another area where a lot of tenders are floated is the tourism and hospitality industry. Since Shillong is one of the major tourist attractions in the state and the country, a number of hotels and resorts have come up.
- Another very potential source for Meghalaya tenders is the export and import industry since the state is largely dependent on imports for meeting its requirements. Especially the shipment and transportation areas offer many tenders and facilities for entrepreneurs to jumpstart their business.
- Since the state is full of natural resources like limestone, coal, Kaolin, granite and Sillimanite, many government tenders and a few private tenders are also generated in this sector.
- A couple of large cement factories have come up in the recent years in the state at the public sector and they also float tenders on regular basis.
- Tourism is one more sector where large number of Meghalaya tender is available for the prospective bidders. However, infrastructural constraints are coming on the way of effective implementation of the endeavor.
Since many investors have not yet moved towards this hilly state to exploit the possibilities of business there, levels of competition for responding to and winning the government tenders in the state has not picked up momentum as yet. However, in the recent years there has been a little enhancement of competition with more and more investors coming up to the state.
Most lucrative prospects till date in the state for investment and business are the agricultural sectors dominated by oilseeds, fiber crops, and horticultural products.