Opportunities in Leather Industry
Multiple opportunities are offered by leather industry in India. It depends on the skill levels and resources available with the bidder as to in which field he would try his business luck.
Some of the best opportunities in the field are as follows:
- Leather has been used since long in the shoe industry. Whether it is boots, ankle boots, shoes for male, female and children, leather is the premier choice of manufacturers and customers.
- Special types of footwear like leather shoes with metal toe-caps or those used for sports and such other adventurous events, trekking, or hunting with protective features, are also very popular.
- Another type of footwear on which multiple leather product tenders are floated are footwear that have rubber or plastic parts as well as shoes which has only part leather. Also footwear with combination of textile materials is found.
- Handbags made with leather are also very popular in the market. Besides these there are imitation leather, saddler, pouches, sandals, suitcases, brief cases, and many other articles that are made excellently with leather.
- In a limited amount, leather jackets and leather wears of other types are also very popular and some leather product tenders are floated for their procurement.
- Leather products are also used in machineries, machine parts, automobiles and in a limited way in small items like water bottle and money purses.
Indian Leather Industry Features
Massive potential for employment, growth and export facilities offered has given leather industry prime place of prominent in the economy. Increased emphasis is on planned developments with the objective of achievement of optimum utilization of raw materials as well as maximization of returns from exports. Naturally, the leather product tenders offer substantial opportunities for businessmen in India.
Most Popular Leather Products
Among the most popular leather products for which maximum number of tenders are floated are leather footwear, leather garments, shoes, soles, harness, saddler, and gloves as well as finished leather goods. Location wise Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Punjab, Delhi, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, and Maharashtra offer best opportunities for trade in leather products bidding and winning numerous leather product tenders floated. The industry employs over 2.5 million people and major part of the industry is in the small cottage sector.
India being the 8th largest exporter of leather products, there is also potential for huge growth of the industry.