Indian Railway is divided into multiple zones like North, North Eastern, North Western, Western, South Eastern, Southern and Central Zones. Railway budget is different and does not constitute a part of the general national budget. With every budget some extensions, reforms, and renovations in the railway systems are introduced. Since most of the procurements are done using railway tenders, they open up huge opportunities for aspirant bidders.
Types of Railway Tenders
Various types of railway tenders are floated at periodic intervals from different wings of the vast organization. All of them are also not directly related to running of passenger and goods trains but are affiliated services. Main types of railway tenders are for -
- Installation of railway tracks.
- Renovation and maintenance of railway tracks.
- Installation, maintenance, and renovation of underground railways.
- Construction and maintenance of railway bridges.
- Excavation and maintenance of railway tunnels.
- Installation of electrical wiring and other accessories for running trains.
- Electrical equipments and accessories relating to signaling and running of other instruments to manage the railway running system.
- Compartment, wagon, wreck, and other manufacturing railway tenders.
- Installation of electric fittings, sanitary fittings, and seats and seat covers etc. in the passenger trains.
- Coloring and painting of all types of trains including goods trains.
- Catering and hosting services in the passenger trains.
- Railway tenders for installation of computerized ticket booking systems.
- Announcements and bulletin boards in the railway stations.
- Furniture and accessories for the staff working in railway stations and level crossing cabins.
- Supply of stores and stationeries for offices in railway headquarters and stations.
- Accessories and fittings for railway engines including electric and diesel engines.
There could be numerous other types of railway tenders but these are some of the major areas where such tenders are regularly floated.
Sources for Tenders
While information relating to railway tenders will be available in most of the leading and informative websites, the best source is the website of Indian Railways where all types of tender information will be available for the prospective bidders. Besides this information, the site also offers a complete description about the requirements for bidding including documents, bid amount, and other requisites.
Change for the Better
In the traditional railway tenders process there were several bottlenecks. Realizing the drawbacks of the traditional system of allotment of works on the basis of "lowest rates" through which many untenable bidders were creeping in, the railways has now adopted the system of "lowest workable acceptable rates".
Marked shift in railway tenders is now more on quality than on lowest rates. Hence, prospective bidders should only bid for tenders befitting their expertise, experience, resources, and status.