Electricity Sector Features
Prospective bidders should be well conversant with the Energy Laws in the country because-
- Electrical sector in India is predominantly controlled by Government of India;
- Ministry of Power is at the helm of affairs;
- Local power supplies are controlled by public sector undertakings.
Main Sources of Tenders in Production and Distribution Sector
Despite privatization of the power distribution system through energy reforms in most part of the countries, production is still controlled by the public sectors. Most of the tenders are floated from these sectors that include –
- Thermal power plants;
- Hydroelectric power plants;
- Nuclear power plants;
- Renewable energy sources management plants;
- Coal sector that meets most of the demands of energy generating units; and
- Wind electricity generation plants.
High Demands in Energy Sectors
With growing industrialization in the country, the demands for energy is growing consequentially and this has resulted in growth of over 3.6% per annum during the last three decades. In result there have been great requirements for different types of construction, maintenance and technical works to be carried out. Many new power generation units are also being set up and these units are floating numerous tenders for procurement of different items in the market.
Tender Floaters in Other Sectors
Major electrical work tenders floaters are –
- NTPC, DVC, NHPC, NPCI, in the central government sectors.
- Various state governments requiring electrical works in new constructions as well as renovation works in old establishments.
- Municipalities, Corporations, Notified Area Councils, Public Sector Undertakings, Blocks, and Urban Development Authorities are some of the major sources for electrical work tenders.
- All the three wings of defense services; Air force; Navy; and Infantry require electrical construction, installation, and maintenance works.
- Transport wings; especially the railways and civil aviation sectors are one of the major users of electrical equipments and float tenders very often requesting bids for materials and services.
- Real estate builders who require massive domestic electrical works to be carried out in the houses constructed.
- Industrial houses for which electricity is indispensable for plants, all works, administrative buildings, as well as residential colonies, for security purposes and peripherals.
Types of Electrical Work Tenders
Broadly speaking electric works tenders can be –
- Relating to electrical structures and construction works;
- Supply of material required for such constructions; and
- Maintenance and renovation works.
Either of the three offers excellent business opportunities for budding entrepreneurs.