Role of CPWD in Construction Market
Since Central Public Works Department or CPWD as it is popularly known is a public enterprise, it works under the guidelines and regulations issued by the Central Government of India. It would be good for the prospective bidders who wish to grab works under the department by responding to and winning the tenders floated by them. Major tasks carried out by the CPWD are –
- Construction works that includes provisions for turnkey project management services from concept to the completion of the building ensuring inbuilt quality as well as financial and technical accountabilities.
- Apart from construction works the Central Public Works Department is also responsible for providing a comprehensive network of service centers for recording, redressing, as well as monitoring the complaints received through single window system.
- Designated nodal officer will take care of the public grievances.
- Designated nodal officer of Directorate shall ensure the process needed for ensuring effective services to the users are established, implemented, as well as maintained. They would also get feedback on user satisfaction for the Central Public Works Department.
Norms for Bidders
Bidders or providers of services to Central Public Works Department are required to follow certain set norms.
- Providers of services should offer assistance and cooperation by providing ownership documents and other requisites to the CPWD.
- Authentic documents for lands and buildings would be required for approval of building plans and clearances for service connection on their behalf from local bodies.
- Completion and handing over the completed works expeditiously and within the approved time frame to the Central Public Works Department.
- If the bidder has won any maintenance services then such provider would be required not to make any unauthorized construction or any additions and alterations to approved plan without explicit written authentication by CPWD.
- Tampering of installations in the premises allotted would be considered a violation of the Central Public Works Department tenders guidelines.
Empanelment of Contractors
Usually it is the contractors that would bid for the tenders floated by the Central Public Works Department. The department has got its own set of rules for enlistment of contractors. Guidelines and regulations for such enlistment are incorporated in the office memorandum no DGS/con/210 Dated 25.04.2005 of the Central Public Works Department. It includes -
- An application form has been prescribed;
- Documents to be attached for enlistment have been prescribed;
- Validation and revalidation forms;
- Certificate by client about standard of works;
- Banker’s certificate;
- Confidential performance report of contractor;
- Application form for revalidation and enlistment;
- Calculation sheet for consideration of revalidation of the registration of the provider under Central Public Works Department, and
- A brief synopsis of enlistment rules.
It would be good for the prospective bidder to go through these documents meticulously before going for any CPWD Tenders.