Sector Wise Distribution
For quite long; for nearly five decades, West Bengal was ruled by leftist government and most things were a bit centralized. Recently there has been a massive political change with the leftist government lead by CPM uprooted by the Mamata Banerjee lead Trinamul Congress and National Congress alliance. It is expected that the state may soon embark on a liberal industrial policy in comparison what was followed so far. It may generate more opportunities for investors with both state tenders and private sector West Bengal tenders coming up in divergent areas.
Major Sources of Tenders
Major sources of West Bengal tenders are as follows –
- Agricultural sector where tenders are floated for procurement of grains and other agricultural products, machineries, tools and accessories, seeds, fertilizers, and pesticides;
- Pisciculture is one of the major trades in the state and many tenders are floated in this sector as both sea fish and sweet water fish is produced in huge quantities from Bay of Bengal, the Ganges and other rivers, streams, and tanks in the state.
- Main agricultural product where many state tenders also come u are pulses, rice, tobacco, potatoes, oil seeds, and cash crop like Jute and tea.
- While 22% of state domestic product is contributed by industries, 27% is contributed by agriculture sector.
- But the highest generator of GDP and therefore of West Bengal tenders is the service sector that produces 51% of the GDP.
- Tender generators in industrial sector are coal, steel and iron, jute, leather, textiles, electrical equipments, jewelry, frigates, railway coaches, wagons, and automobiles.
- Two other major sectors are education and health. West Bengal has a host of educational institutions of repute including 18 universities and a number of highly reputed health care institutes. Many tenders are floated by these institutes for procurement of different items relating to education and healthcare.
- West Bengal is also quite advanced in games and sports; especially in football, hockey, cricket, badminton, tennis, athletics, swimming, and indoor games like table tennis and chess. Many West Bengal tenders including state tenders offered by the sports department come up which aspirant bidders can respond and try their luck upon.
As the third largest economy in India, West Bengal offers excellent opportunities for both investors and those who want to make good in business by offering products and services. However, the competition is quite stiff and the bidders have to be alert regarding the quality, timing, method, and contents of the products or services offered that should fit in nicely with the requirements of the procurer.
And it applies to all types of tenders including state tenders in West Bengal.