Prospective bidders opting to respond to the tender notices coming out from the public and private sectors in Mizoram should do well to learn about the economic scenario in the state. An economy dominated by cottage and small scale industries, it also revolves largely around forest products, agro based industries, and to some extent on tourism. These are also the major sources for Mizoram tenders.
Industrial Tenders in Mizoram
Most of the tender notices relating to industries in Mizoram originate from the following agencies in the state.
- ZIDCO or the Zoram Industrial Development Corporation;
- MKVIB or the Mizoram Khadi and Village Industry Board;
- ZENICS or the Zoram Electronics Development Corporation;
- MIFCO or the Mizoram Food and Allied Industries Corporation Limited; and
- ZOHANCO or the Zoram Handloom and Handicraft Corporation Limited.
A good sign is the gradually rising GDP or Gross Domestic Product in the state that has been showing the upward trend since the 1990 and it continued over the last two decades.
Bamboo as a Major Source
One of the major sources for Mizoram tenders is Bamboo industry. No less than twenty identifiable bamboos species are indigenous to the state and over 30% of its area is covered by bamboo forests. Many tender notice are floated by Government as well private commercial organizations for –
- Utilization of around 80 million tons of bamboo crop that is procured annually in the state and that constitutes around 40% of the total bamboo procurements in the country annually.
- State government has been encouraging use of bamboo as the alternative to timber and numerous Mizoram tenders relate to such processes.
- Bamboo is widely used for domestic and well as commercial purposes. Bamboo charcoal is used as fuel, while bamboo pulp is used to manufacturer papers. Bamboo is also used for manufacturing fertilizers and wall panels.
- Paper mills are one of the largest users of bamboo and often float tender notices for bamboo procurement as well as sales from the authorized stores.
Unique Scope in Insecticides
Rats and insects are major problems for agriculturists in Mizoram. Many Mizoram tenders deal with procurement of insecticides and rat killers because during the flowering of bamboo species there is massive growth of rats and insects in the state and they cause havoc for the agriculture in general. Naturally, these are fields where prospective businessmen will have substantial scope for promoting their business by supplying these items by responding to tenders floated.
Other Tender Originators
A few other areas from where many tender notices are also floated includes –
- Agriculture related implements;
- Seeds and fertilizers;
- Insecticides and medicines;
- Food processing;
- Plantation and firming; and
In recent years there also has been substantial growth of tenders and business prospects in the fields of construction; transport; and telecommunication.