Since the state is strategically located having a long coastline along the Arabian Sea, and also has Mumbai, one of the leading commercial metropolitan cities in India and world that also has the largest sea port in India, scope for business is quite substantial. Favorable economic policies pursued by the state government since 1970 has made Maharashtra the leading industrial state with many public and private sector enterprises that are the sources for Maharashtra tenders.
Tender Sources by Location
Cities with large industrial bases are the major sources of Maharashtra tenders by location and most of the latest tenders of the state for procurement of materials, products, and services originate from these cities.
- Mumbai is the center and largest industrial city in the state;
- Aurangabad, Pune, Nasik are some other cities where major industrial activities take place.
- Areas like Vidarbha, Konkan, Khandesh, and Marathwada are not as industrially advanced as the Western part of the state and latest tenders in these areas relate mostly to agriculture and tourism.
Tender Sources by Sectors
Major source for Maharashtra tenders is the industrial sector that contributes around 46% of the GDP of the state. Major sources of tenders are –
- Chemical and allied products industries;
- Electrical and electronics industries;
- Non-electrical and mechanical industries;
- Textile, power loom, and hand loom industries;
- Petroleum and refineries;
- Allied petroleum products like wax and others;
- Wine and distilleries;
- Jewelries and art and crafts industries;
- Pharmaceutical and medical industries;
- Steel and iron industries;
- Casting and plastics industries; and
- Machine tool industries.
Tenders in Agriculture Sectors
It does not mean that the state does not offer scope in other sectors. One of the sectors where many Maharashtra tenders originate is the agricultural sector. Such tenders relate to –
- Agricultural equipments, fertilizers, seeds, and pesticides meant for food crop growing like oranges, mangoes, bananas, and grapes;
- Such equipments and accessories for crops like wheat, jowar, rice, pulses, and bajra;
- Equipments and accessories facilitating growth of cash crops like cotton, tobacco, groundnuts, sugarcane, and turmeric.
Maharashtra has many important places of tourist interests and hosts millions of tourists from inland and overseas annually. A couple of major tourist attractions are Elephanta caves in Mumbai and Ajanta and Ellora near Aurangabad and Daulatabad. Some latest tenders can always be found from the public and private tourism sector.
However, the largest source of Maharashtra tenders is the real estate industry. With population growing rapidly the requirements for domestic as well as commercial complexes and units have grown considerably and it has resulted in growth of the tenders in the sector considerably.
Aspirant bidders should not also overlook the tenders in the Automobile industry sector as Mumbai is the leading city in respect of automobile industry in the country.