It is necessary for any prospective bidder to learn about the economic scenario of West Bengal before responding to any tender floated in the state. It is one of the states where agriculture and industry has prospered side by side offering great opportunities for business. Naturally West Bengal tender comes up in both the sectors almost simultaneously. In addition; opportunities are available in the service sector as well.
Major Sources for West Bengal Tender
Sector wise major sources for West Bengal tender are –
- Agricultural sector based on rice, pulses, oil seeds, sugarcane, potato, wheat, and vegetables.
- Cash crop industries; especially Jute, sugarcane, tea, and tobacco offer the greatest opportunities with West Bengal tender regularly coming up in this sector.
- One of the major sources is the service sector that contributes to around 51% of the gross domestic products of the state. In comparison; 27% and 22% are contributed by the Agriculture and Industrial sectors respectively.
- Mineral rich areas of Durgapur and Asansol colliery belt has brought up a number of steel plants and at the same time the coal industry itself generates West Bengal tender one after another.
- Other industrial sectors like the engineering products, electrical equipments, cables, steel, textiles, automobiles, jewelries, and leather etc also offer substantial opportunities for business.
Foreign Direct Investment
Third largest economy in the country, West Bengal has been able to generate big foreign direct investment especially in the field of software and electronic goods. Today Kolkata, the capital city of the state and one of the largest cities in the world has become a major hub for the world of information technology. That is why one would find West Bengal tender relating to information technology industries floated every now and then in the market.
Power Sector and Corporate Bodies
In terms of business opportunities, power sector in West Bengal has the highest potential followed by various other industries. Especially, a number of corporate houses have been established in the state that includes -
- India Government Mint; Kolkata;
- Bata India; one of the largest shoe companies in the world;
- Birla Corporation;
- Calcutta Electric Supplies Corporation Limited or CESC;
- Coal India Limited;
- Hindustan Motors;
- Exide Batteries;
- Britannia Industries;
- Damodar Valley Corporation; and
- United Bank of India, United Commercial Bank of India; and Allahabad Bank headquarters.
- All these corporate bodies come up with West Bengal tender at regular intervals.
Some other areas where prospective bidders may expect numerous tenders are –
- Transport industries including road ways and railways;
- Shipping industry and dockyards;
- Foreign trade; after the opening of the route to China and Myanmar through Sikkim and Mizoram.
Prospective bidders can find information on every West Bengal tender on the official website of the West Bengal Government as well as on some qualitative and informative websites.